Saturday, November 5, 2016

The First Year: don't expect much from me

Sometimes we let expectations get in the way of seeing what's real. I know that for the year following my husband's death (and beyond, truth be told) I missed a lot and i really don't know whether I contributed much to society, to the world.

So try not to feel disheartened by my lack of knowing things that you take for granted. I wasn't a real news watcher to begin with and when something as major as losing my husband occurred, everything else just sort of fell away and lost any import.

I had no idea that there was a hurricane about these parts until a tree literally fell on our house.
The deaths of several celebrities and world figures were news to me just the other day - these passings of a year or so ago.  I was unaware that the Samsung phones were exploding or that the Dixie Chicks had made a comeback!

I am saying i missed a lot.  A lot of stuff that becomes trivial when my world has, once again, been turned inside out.

I am seeing a therapist (i highly recommend someone you can vent to who does not judge).
i am tending to my physical needs as well; seeing doctors and getting things repaired.  I am even getting back into volunteering with at risk kids.  My painting is therapeutic as well as beginning to provide extra money.  All these things i am doing without the love of my life.

And it is phenomenally hard.

The goings on of the outer world are starting to interest me somewhat...with a presidential race so vile, who could miss it?
Maybe I'll catch up.  Maybe not.

Either way, i ask that you have mercy on me.  Don't expect more than i can give right now.
You can fill me in on what I've missed when the time feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment